Monday, April 30, 2012

New Hobby

My second knee surgery has finally been scheduled for June 13! I will be so happy when it is done. For those of you that are curious as to why I have to have another knee surgery, or I've had to explain it to you in a rush, here it goes-

Back in October of 2011, I started waking up with severe pains in both of my knees. The sounds of cracking, popping, and the feeling that my legs were about to fall off woke me up for almost a month. In September, I had my yearly physical and measured in at 5'10 1/2. After about a month of these unfortunate wake up calls, I returned to the doctor to figure out what was going on and measured in at 6'0.

Yes, I grew 1.5 inches in a month at 22 years old. Crazy, I know.

So...this is why I'm having a second round of surgery. Because of my quick growth, both of my femurs suffered from fractures, which caused my plica membrane to thicken and lodge itself between each femur. I was unable to run, could hardly drive, and trouble standing up without my knees giving out.  My right knee was operated on in February and has finally recovered.  I have finally been able to log 24-36 mile workouts a week (with knee swelling and popping in the left, but oh well)! I can't wait for the surgery to be over!

With this being said, I believe a new hobby has been formed!  My mother has decided to teach me how to sew my own clothing so I can have clothing tailored to my measurements. This weekend, we made a simple peasant dress that is right above the knee, 3/4 length sleeves, and cinches me right at my waist. We also made a really cute dress that is light, breathable, and cool enough to wear in the summer. Finding clothing in stores that fits a slender, 6' tall, hourglass figure is extraordinarily difficult- dresses are always WAY too short, finding long enough jeans is a joke, and finding shirts that are flattering with my waist measurements has been a huge challenge.

Ladies who share my frustration, if you already know how to sew, try some of these patterns-

http://www.simplicity.com/p-7500-misses-dresses-cynthia-rowley-collection.aspx

http://www.simplicity.com/p-7495-misses-plus-size-dresses.aspx

http://www.simplicity.com/p-7453-misses-dresses-project-runway-collection.aspx

http://www.simplicity.com/p-6159-learn-to-sew-misses-dresses.aspx

http://www.simplicity.com/p-5086-misses-tunic-top.aspx
 

If not, join me in learning how to sew! A lot of local craft stores offer sewing classes for a really low price. Between lessons from mom and classes over the summer, I hope to be able to make most of my fall wardrobe! Good luck!

Sarah



No comments:

Post a Comment